Theology is one of the most intriguing courses one can take. Primarily concerned with the study of the different religions around the world, it not only delves with different principles of religious faith, but also takes a deep look at how people’s values are shaped by the presence of religion. Because of the big number of deep (and sometimes controversial) topics, this is an intriguing field of discourse for people trying to make a dissertation. What are the best theology dissertation topics around? Here are some great ideas.
1. Systematic theology. More times than not, theology doesn’t only touch the faith issues, but also even the most basic things on how people live their lives. Ranging from topics like greed and fidelity, each religion has its own stand to these different moral aspects. It’s an interesting topic for dissertation for sure. Here are some theology topics involving this aspect:
- How greed is being viewed according to the Bible.
- How is marital fidelity discussed according to the Qur’an.
- What different religions (or its religious leaders) think about a certain social issue.
2. Doctrinal approach. Each religion has its doctrine, and how its main characters lived their life has a huge say on how their entire doctrine is constructed and later perceived by its followers. Because of the deeply technical aspects of such study, it can become an intriguing topic for dissertations. Examples of theology topics include:
- Studying a particular teaching of the deity.
- How the manner a deity or person lived his/her life affected the entire ministry.
- How certain doctrines are perceived in the modern times.
3. Religious philosophies. In many ways, religion and philosophy are directly tied to each other. This is why people compare religion to philosophy and vice versa. As such, it would make for an interesting discourse if a dissertation would tackle the different philosophies tied with a certain religion. Here are some examples of theology dissertation topics that tackle philosophy:
- The existence of God in a particular religion.
- The concept of happiness according to Buddhism.
- How the philosophical structure of a religion affects their philosophy in life.
4. Ethics. Let’s face it. Religion has a huge say on how particular people act and think. As such, their system of ethics can be fully (or at least partially) affected by what religion they follow. Among the ethics-based theology dissertation topics you can select:
- How a specific religion either encourages or discourages abortion.
- Look at the “eye-for-an-eye” way of punishment according to a particular religion’s doctrine.
- The roots of preaching pacifism in a particular religion.