Writing a dissertation as a literature major can be tough if one is strictly accustomed to flowery words or to poetic forms. But aside from the distinct differences in technicalities, writing a literature dissertation is not at all a tough challenge as there are so many subject matters in the field that would be fascinating to both the author and the audience. So to start the dissertation writing process, here are some suggested literature dissertation topics that you can easily work on:
- The Bible as the world’s most printed book and its contenders.
- How e-books affect the literature industry.
- Fairy tales and their hidden meanings and effects.
- Geographical differences in literature.
- Literature as a story-telling of history.
- Fiction vs. non-fiction literature.
- Sexism: Gender representation in literature.
- Literature as affected by both politics and economics.
- Then and now, a literary recap.
- Utopia, both as part of literature and good governance.
- A study on literature and its author.
- The trend of travel writing.
- Religion as a literature topic: discriminatory or spiritual.
- Literature as a culture expression.
- Autobiography as a form of literature.
Although these literature dissertation topics are in some way general, they can always be specified if one would want the paper to have a central focus. For instance, the topic on children’s books can be easily illustrated and specified by working on a distinctive children’s book such as that of Hans Christian Andersen. From there, you can easily emphasize on the patterns of the stories or conduct a comparative study of such stories from a single author. Also, these literature dissertation topics provide common literature trends. The idea on adding these types of topics is to update the audience on the different forms of literature nowadays, making the paper both educational and informational. Also, the phenomenon of e-books is suggested as a topic for dissertation as it establishes the adaptation of literature to modern times.
There are still many literature dissertation topics that one can definitely add to this list, but the more important part in choosing a topic for a research paper is actually selecting one that is of personal interest to the author. Some research authors commit the mistake of selecting an interesting topic but end up not delivering a paper of quality – then they have to rewrite. It is better to choose a simple topic that is based on good research and solid foundation than submit a mediocre research. And finally, writing a literature dissertation is preferred because, unlike other research papers, it does not require data collection or test sampling or other tedious experimentation just to achieve the conclusion. Instead, a literature dissertation only needs patience to finish a book or sets of books, comprehensive research to support the hypothesis and of course, the heart to actually finish the paper – with these things, your literature dissertation is just a book or two away!